It is normal for aesthetic treatments to raise as many doubts as interest, and more so if certain myths revolve around them. This is the case of Botox which, although today is one of the most used, there are still some fears about its use. It is effective? Will I run out of expression? Is it only for mature skin? What is the difference with respect to hyaluronic acid and lifting?
Therefore, we have visited the doctor's office Javier Arnáiz Campuzano responsible for Aesthetic and Laser Medicine of the Hospital Quirónsalud Vitoria so that we can dismantle the myths and explain the details of this current treatment.
How does Botox work in the wrinkle and how long does it last?
This is how commercial form to the treatment with botulinum toxin, substance that when infiltrates blocks the secretion of Acetylcholine from the nerve endings. In this way, it is possible that the muscle relaxes and, consequently, does not appear the contraction that marks the expression line or wrinkles.
The duration of this aesthetic treatment is three months sometimes reaching four.
Number of recommended Botox sessions
In my opinion, it is advisable to perform two applications per year so that the muscle recovers and avoid atrophy or loss of volume. Anyway, there are professionals who advise it more frequently, up to four times a year, looking to show its effect permanently.
One can be applied before Christmas parties to see us more attractive during these very marked dates, and another can be done before the summer . Precisely, the summer season is the best to do it, since we prevent the fearsome white mark in the valley of expression lines that appears with the tanning of the skin, avoiding contrast of shades that are created between the "wrinkle" and the rest of the face.
Difference between Botox, hyaluronic acid and lifting
It is easy to confuse these aesthetic treatments, but the truth is that they have uses different:
- Botox is used to correct expression lines by relaxing the muscles in the area where it is applied.
- The use of hyaluronic acid has several functions, including adding volume in the lips, cheekbones … and other utilities, such as moisturizing very dry areas, which is also the case of the lips.  The objective of lifting coincides and with the one of the Botox, that is to say, to make wrinkles disappear. The difference is that the former bases the treatment on surgery to eliminate wrinkles formed by an excess of skin and the second corrects the expression lines without surgical intervention. In any case, the facelift can be complemented with the Botox.
Why does the Botox have a bad reputation?
We often hear that this treatment worsens the appearance of the face because the expressiveness of the patient remains, or that the lips do not they remain natural after infiltrations. However, all this is part of the myths that are formulated around Botox, whose bad reputation does not deserve.
The first thing we have to know is that Botox is not injected into the lips , because for this there are other types of fillers that achieve a volume effect. Currently, legalized fillers are resorbable, not permanent, since the face changes over time naturally.
Therefore, if we see lips that are too bulky, it is probably due to a filling made long ago or not done correctly. , and not to a Botox infiltration.
Breaking 5 myths of Botox
- It is not dangerous . When the treatment is carried out correctly and by a qualified professional, it does not present any inconvenience, although it is true that some unwanted temporary effect can occur when the muscle in which it infiltrates is not correct. It is also possible that the patient has an allergy to one of the components, which should be taken into account.
- It does not eliminate expressiveness . Although the mobility of the muscles decreases, the patient can express himself in the same way as before the treatment, and the treated area can also wrinkle. The result will depend on the dose applied and the location of the infiltrations. Therefore, it is important to go to specialists in Aesthetic Medicine to obtain maximum naturalness in the results.
- It is not suitable only for mature skin . Actually, from the age of majority the treatment can already be carried out, since there are people who present wrinkles at younger ages. However, it is true that it is not a common occurrence.
- No cases are common in which the Botox is abused with the exception of a few people attending several specialists so that each one injects a quantity of Botox, but as I say it is not usual.
- It is a error to think that Botox takes 15 years . The key to the success of aesthetic medicine is that it helps us look good with our age.
Finally, it is essential to know the needs of each person, since, sometimes, there may be a greater interest in achieving naturalness in the results and, in others, that these changes are very visible.