It is increasingly common among women to hear the question of what is endometriosis, due to the symptoms of pain it causes and other problems associated with it. Dr. Paula Soriano Lillo specialist in Gynecology and Obstetrics at Hospital Quirónsalud Murcia explains that "endometriosis is a benign disease that affects women during their reproductive life ".
Sometimes, the few signs, and the ease to confuse them with menstrual discomfort, make it difficult to diagnose this disease that can have an impact on fertility.
Endometriosis: what it is and its symptoms
Our gynecologist clarifies that "the name has its origin in the word endometrium which is the tissue that lines the inside of the uterus and that flakes off ] every month with menstruation ", adding that this pathology" occurs when endometrial tissue leaves the uterus and settles in any part of the abdomen. "
What signs does it present?
ci It is difficult to identify the signs of endometriosis because, as our doctor points out, "they are usually variables and depend on each case, and a single isolated symptom may occur, several at the same time or even none hence the importance of periodic gynecological examinations ".
To this is added that, to Often, menstruation is associated with discomfort and other discomforts centered on the genital and abdominal area, causing, sometimes, importance is reduced to periods of intense pain that prevent even getting out of bed. In this way, in many cases the signs of endometriosis are masked with the pains of the period and are confused with them.
Therefore, it is important to know that some of the symptoms of endometriosis they are:
- Continuous pain in the pelvic area
- Discomforts during sexual intercourse
- Abundant menstrual flow
- Discomforts during defecation
- Difficulties to become pregnant
- Nausea and vomiting
- Acute pain in the abdomen
- Tiredness, dizziness and weakness
Problems with fertility
The chances of pregnancy are reduced in patients diagnosed with endometriosis. And, because of this disease, some of these consequences can occur:
- Sperm penetration into the ovule is limited due to inflammation inside the abdomen.
- Changes in fallopian tubes. Our gynecologist explains this point, pointing out that there are " pelvic adhesions that prevent normal movement of the tubes or even obstruct them".
- Variation in the ovarian reserve if presented this disease in the ovaries.
- In the inside the abdomen unusual substances are secreted that hinder the usual fertile process.
Endometriosis and assisted reproduction
Fortunately, there are different assisted reproduction techniques, adapted to each woman, in order to help achieve Desire to be a mother. Our doctor clarifies that "her chances of getting pregnant are greatly reduced, so many of the women with this pathology should resort to assisted reproduction treatments ".
Specifically, at the Hospital Quirónsalud Murcia as a first possibility, the IVF, IVF according to its acronym. However, they warn us that it is previously necessary to assess the particular case of each woman.
Before beginning any therapy, it is a question of studying factors such as:
- Hormone Analytics
- anatomy of the uterus and tubes
- The quality of semen
All these data make it possible to assess the best technique for the case of the patient.